Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Project 365 - Recent Craft Projects

I want to get caught up with Project 365, and also post a few extra photos. I'll do them in groups - this one features a few of the craft projects that I've finished recently.

This is a "felted" bowl I made from some Manos de Uruguay yarn (I adore these colors, and liked working with the yarn; I have more of it, in two different colorways). It started out looking sort of like a floppy hat (diameter here, about 11 inches):

Day 141

Manos Bowl, Before Fulling

After running it through a the washing machine with hot water, I shaped it inside a pan, and left it for several days to dry completely:

Manos Bowl, Shaped and Drying

And here is the finished bowl (which shrunk to about 8 inches in diameter:

Day 147

Day 147 - Felted Bowl

Here's another project, a sweater I made for Mookie (size 2 years). I think it turned out pretty cute - hopefully, it will fit her this winter:

Day 148

Day 148 - Mookie's Sweater

Here are a few other projects (not 365 photos). A market bag I made, which will probably be given to one of my nieces for Christmas:

Market Bag

A little bag for my D&D dice (Amy, I used the rest of the yarn from the bag I made for you, so our two bags match):

Dice Bag

Dice Bag



Sep. 6th, 2008 05:13 pm (UTC)
Ack! To be honest, I'm not really all that happy with the way the seams turned out. They look fine from the outside, but they don't really lay flat - there is a ridge along the inside that sticks up about 1/8 of an inch. I think it will be okay for this garment, because it's a cardigan, and she'll always be wearing another shirt underneath it, but if this were supposed to be a pull-over, I'm not sure I'd be happy with the seams (especially for a child; on something for an adult, the ridge probably wouldn't be a big deal, but on this small scale, I don't really like it - I'm afraid she'd feel it against her skin).

I sort of seamed them the way I would crochet, by picking up the two stitches that make up the "v" of each stitch along the edge of the panel, and trying to match them up, stitch to stitch, on the two panels I was sewing together. Doing it this way didn't leave gaps in the seam (which happened when I tried to sew just one thread on each side), but it still didn't turn out as nice as it does with crocheted pieces. I can get crochet to lay flat; this didn't. I think I'm going to look for a tutorial about how to do this properly before I do another similar project. I think there might be a way to sew them so that the sewing yarn ends up between the two pieces, instead of going up and over (which pulls things in a way that makes that stupid ridge) . . . but I don't know how to do that. When I find a good explanation of it, I'll definitely let you know! :)

(Also, maybe one of the more experienced knitters on my f-list will read this, and take pity on us and give us some hints). :D
Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Teresa Jones